Thursday, July 2, 2009

Yakov's Will




Note: English spellings are used for family names throughout this Will - Yakov himself listed as James Smirnove

In the name of the Father, Lord and the Holy Ghost.

This is the last will of me, James Smirnove, of Welbeck Street, Cavendish Square, Chaplain to His Imperial Russian Embassy by the blessing of the Almighty, enjoying yet perfect state of sound mind but considering the uncertainty of human life, my advanced years and many infirmities attending upon it and remembering also my peculiar situation in which it pleased providence to place me …that of having had the honor to fill the office of Chaplain to the Imperial Russian Embassy since the year One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty inhabiting the house provided by His Majesty’s Government which circumstance after my death might cause some misunderstanding and trouble to my family in as far as regards books, prints, pictures and other domestic effects, wines, goods chattels and furniture of every kind which is my own property purchased either with my own money or presented to me by my friends; all Church vessels and vestments as also all that are called church books used in performing divine service of course belong to His Imperial Majesty’s Embassador’s Chapel of which a proper list well be made out.

I do hereby give and bequeath

all my said household effects of every description equally between my three good daughters Elizabeth, Sophia and Catherine at their full disposal and as after my decease they will be soon obliged to quit the Government house in which we now reside I advise them if they think proper to select what furniture they may wish to preserve for furnishing their future habitation and to have all the rest sold by public auction. With respect to my library which is of considerable value particularly in the Greek Church Fathers and both Latin and Greek Classics, I recommend all the Latin and Greek Books to be sold by public auction for the benefit of my said three daughters; of the English, French and Russian Books, my two sons and daughters may select for their own use what they may consider proper and the remaining both French and English also be sold by public auction for the benefit of my daughters but the remaining Russian books I bequeath to my two Nephews Stephen and John, sons of my late brother John Smirnove (Ivan Smirnov) now at Saint Petesburg. All stock monies or cash belonging to me in the English Funds as also what ready cash may be due to me in the hands of my old worthy friends and Bankers Messieurs Barman and Company of Old Broad Street and all other my personal estate in England after paying my lawful debts I also leave to my said three daughters to be divided in equal portions among them but I recommend to them not to sell out the principal but to try to lie upon the interest of it which small as it is will go much further if enjoyed by them together than if separated. I give and bequeath all the capital and stock belonging to me in the Russian Funds and whatever other money or property besides there may be due to me in Russia at my death whether in the hands of my worthy friends and Agents Messieurs Auberson and Moberly of St Petersburgh or elsewhere to my two sons Constantine and John Smirnove to be equally divided between them for their own use and benefit. My eldest son Constantine being a great invalid and unable to take an active part in the execution of this my will I appoint and constitute my younger son John Smirnove, my oldest daughter Elizabeth Smirnove and his Excellencey General Count Michel Woronzow Executors of this my will hereby revoking all other wills by me at any time heretofore made and declaring this only to be my last Will.

In witness whereof I the said James Smirnove to this my last Will have set my hand and seal this 2/14 day of November in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty One — James Smirnove Signed sealed published and declared by the said Testator as and for his last Will in presence of us who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto set and subscribed our names as witnesses Edmd. Barlow R N. Henset

This is a Codicil to my will.

I appoint my Friend William Moberly of 28 Great Winchester Street Esquire an Executor of this my Will jointly with my son John Smirnove, my daughter Elizabeth and his Excellency Count Woronzow In witness whereof I have hereunto signed my name this 27 day of December 1831 — James Smirnove — Witness P. B. Robinson Essex Street.

This is a second Codicil to my will

of the Second of November 1831 whereas by my said Will I have given my household furniture and effects equally between my three daughters now I do hereby recommend my said daughters in the first place to offer the said furniture and effects to the Russian Embassy in London at a fair valuation in case the said Embassy should think proper to purchase the same and whereas by my said will I have bequeathed all my Russian stock money and other property hich I may leave in Russia at the time of my death to my two sons Constantine and John Now I do hereby revoke the said bequest and in lieu thereof I do hereby give the whole of the said stock and money to my son Constantine for his own use during his life but no longer and on his death I give the same to my son John for his use for ever and in case my said son John shall die in the lifetime of his brother leaving a widow then his widow shall have that interest and dividend of the said stock and money for her life and on her death the principal of the said stock and money to be divided equally amongst the children of my said son John in case he shall leave any child or children and in case he shall not have any child then the principal of the said stock and money to be equally divided among my three daughters or such of the them as shall be then living share and share alike. In all other respects I do confirm my said will as witness my hand this twentieth day of November 1839 — James Smirnove — Signed by the said testator James Smirnove and declared by him to be a codicil to his will in the presence of us who had signed our names hereto in the presence of each other, William MacIntyre London M. D. - I B Robinson, Essex St Strand.

I do hereby nominate and appoint Sir James Leighton Knight o be one of the executors of this my will jointly with the other executors already named dated this twenty first day of November Eighteen hundred and thirty nine. - James Smirnove